McAllen, Texas is one of the most populous cities in Texas for good reason. It is best known for the incredibly low cost of living, the great educational system, the culture and the exceptional weather. It’s no surprise that people flock to this area.
Want to know more about this amazing city? Look no further – check out these fifteen quick facts about McAllen, Texas and get ready to pack your bags, because you’ll definitely want to make McAllen your new home.
- McAllen is within close proximity to five different educational institutions – The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley, The University of Texas-Brownsville, Texas Southmost College, Texas State Technical College and South Texas College.
- According to Forbes, McAllen is the third best city for job growth with an annual growth projected at 3.9%.
- CBS News published that the average cost of a home in McAllen, Texas is the third-least expensive community in the United States with an average home price of $178,000.
- McAllen’s average yearly temperature is 84.7 degrees and it is served by a subtropical climate as it is close to the Gulf of Mexico.
- McAllen was named the 7th safest city in America in April 2016.
- Forbes ranked McAllen-Edinburg-Mission as the 35th best performing city in the country.
- Since 1990, the city’s population has seen a 22% increase due to the expansion of shopping, dining and recreation amenities.
- The cost of living in McAllen is 16.2% lower than the national average, making McAllen an affordable place of buyers of all walks of life.
- McAllen is a vibrant arts and entertainment scene. The city is full of art galleries, museums, live music venues and nightlife spots. McAllen even has a symphony orchestra.
- Uriah Lott, Leonidas C. Hill, Sr., John McAllen, James Ballí McAllen and John J. Young formed the McAllen Townsite Company on December 5, 1904. The new community was named for John McAllen.
- McAllen’s famous and most popular retail spot La Plaza Mall opened its doors in 1976.
- The existing structure of the First United Methodist Church on 221 Main Street was built in 1928 and has an official Historical Marker. The first Methodist Church sanctuary in McAllen was built in 1909.
- McAllen is the twenty-first most populous city in Texas and the largest city in Hidalgo County, Texas.
- McAllen’s Public Library, once an abandoned Wal-Mart, was named the most beautiful library in Texas by website Tech Insider.
- CNBC named McAllen the 12th best place to start a business in America.
From these facts you can tell McAllen is a special place to both live and visit. Whether you are a recent college graduate or retired and looking for a city to relax in, McAllen is the place to be. If these quick facts have enticed you to want to make a trip out to McAllen to view homes in the area, give us a call – we’d love to help you land your dream home in a location we know you will love.
Living in McAllen
With a low unemployment rate, low cost of living, plenty of amenities and attractions to visit and some of the best people in the country, McAllen is the home you’ve been dreaming of. The city is constantly recognized by top publications like Forbes and CNBC for being in the top of its class.
McAllen is small town with a lot to offer just about anyone. You can continue to enjoy the small town vibe without losing the exciting conveniences and attractions big cities have to offer. You will know your neighbor and you can also head to the hustle and bustle the nearby major cities. It really is the best of both worlds living in McAllen, Texas.
Ready to take a leap and explore McAllen with Trendsetters Real Estate? Give us a call and one of our experienced real estate agents will show you all of McAllen while learning about what kind of home and neighborhood you are looking to move into. We know the home buying process is a tough task to tackle, but we are here to help you every step of the way to make the process as easy and efficient as possible. We want you to enjoy McAllen without suffering through a lengthy home buying process.
We’re ready to help make McAllen your new dream home – give us a call today.